A Fee Waiver is used to wave the fee associated with signing up for the SAT/ ACT or filling out a college application. This is a more complicated way of saying that the waiver will allow you to sign up for an admission test or apply to a college for free.
(Frequently Asked Questions)
- What kind of fee waivers are there?
- There are two common types of fee waivers, admission test fee waivers and college application fee waivers. Admission test fee waivers allow the student to sign up for the SAT and/ or ACT at no cost (as long as they do so by the registration deadline). College application fee waivers allow students to submit a college application without having to pay an application fee.
- Who qualifies to receive a fee waiver?
- To receive a fee waiver, you must fall under one of these criteria:
- You’re enrolled in or eligible for the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch program.
- Your family income meets the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service*.
- You’re enrolled in a program that aids students from low-income families, like Upward Bound.
- Your family receives public assistance.
- You live in federally subsidized public housing, a foster home, or are homeless.
- You’re a ward of the state or an orphan.
- You can provide a supporting statement from an official of your financial eligibility.
- Where do I get my waiver, if I qualify?
- Students can pick up an SAT and/ or ACT test fee waiver or a college application fee waiver in the Career & College Center (first door on the right in the library).
- How many waivers can I receive?
- ACT test fee waiver - Students wishing to sign up for the ACT are only allowed 2 fee waivers.
- SAT test fee waiver - Students can use only 2 fee waivers for the SAT and only 2 fee waivers for the SAT Subjects Test.
- ACT college application fee waiver - Students who have taken the ACT with a test fee waiver can request an unlimited number of ACT college application fee waivers.
- SAT college application fee waiver - Student who have taken the SAT with a test fee waiver can only request up to 4 SAT college application fee waivers.
- NACAC college application fee waiver - Students that are financially eligible may only request up to 4 NACAC college application fee waivers.
- Do all colleges accept college application fee waivers?
- No. Not all colleges accept college application fee waivers. Search for schools that accept them here.
Should you have any additional questions in regards to fee waivers or would like to pick one up, please visit the Career & College Center to speak with Ms. Koebrick.
Ms. Bailey Koebrick
Victoria East Career & College Coach
361.788.2820 ext 38652