Victoria East High School graduates recognize past teachers who have made a lasting impact during their educational careers and current East HS teachers.
The Top Ten Graduates for East HS have each selected one of their former K-12 teachers who worked with them in some capacity while in school that made a lasting impact on their life. The Top Ten Graduates were recognized in March with the Victoria Independent School District Board of Trustees Awards of Excellence for their academic standing and conduct.
This is the second year East HS will recognize impactful teachers.
"The Titan Impact Award is about celebrating our teacher leaders who are making a measurable impact on others and are making a positive lasting change,” said East HS Principal Justin Gabrysch. “So often, teachers do not see the impact they have created in a student's life and this is one way to recognize the value in being called a "Teacher."
Teachers being recognized with the Titan Impact Award are:
- Mrs. Tammy Medlin, nominated by Issacc Lu. Ms. Medlin taught Lu Victoria East High School.
- Ms. Brandy Garcia, nominated by Ori Ebner. Ms. Garcia taught Ebner Torres Elementary.
- Mr. Nicolas Fabbro, nominated by Kaden Kolle. Mr. Fabbro taught Kolle Victoria East High School.
- Ms. Wendi Barnes, nominated by Caden Allen. Ms. Barnes taught Allen Victoria East High School.
- Ms. Karen Frazier, nominated by Ellison High. Ms. Frazier taught High Our Lady of Victory Catholic School.
- Mr. Michael Ruiz, nominated by Emma Seiler. Mr. Ruiz taught Seiler Victoria East High School.
- Ms. Jamey Gillespie, nominated by Jeremy Jenkins. Ms. Gillespie taught Jenkins at Aloe Elementary.
- Ms. Aubrey Lopez, nominated by Grant Biles. Ms. Lopez taught Lopez Victoria East High School.
- Ms. Alma Pena, nominated by Hannah Tyler. Pena taught Tyler at Torres Elementary.
- Ms. Jill Garner, nominated by Jordan Askew. Garner taught Askew at Howell Middle School.
East HS is continuing the tradition of the Golden Apple Awards. In its fourth year, the Golden Apple Awards is an award that is 100% student nominated. All students can participate by nominating a current East HS teacher for a category that suits them best. Teachers were awarded their themed Golden Apple at the beginning of each class period throughout the day on Friday, May 20.
The following teachers were voted for the following categories:
- Most inviting Classroom - Jonathan Sixtos
- Best Laugh - KIMBERLY WILLIS
- Best Lessons - MARY GARZA
- Most Memorable Teacher - JAMES BRAY
- Most Spirit - JESUS RAYOS
- Best Mentor - MADISON FLYNN
- Most Caring - CLAUDIA AOUEILLE
- Best Dressed - Aurelia Patterson
- Best Personality - BRITTNEY CARDENAS
- Best College Prep - NICHOLAS FABBRO
- Most Sass - DAVID LEARY
- Best Attendance - DANNY POOLEY
- Best Smile - DESTINY YBARBO
- Most Friendly Teacher - KYLE CRAFT
- Best Sense of Humor - TICIA WERTMAN
- Best Jokes - Marcus Hernandez
- MVT (Most Valuable Teacher) - JOHN DAVIS
- Rookie of the Year - Marina Rios
- Teacher of the Year - Joshua Chaput, Pre-AP Geometry